District Court for Northern District of California

In Re Quaker Oats Labeling Litigation

Case No: 5:10-cd-00501 RS

U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California

If you purchased an eligible Quaker Oats Product at any time from February 3, 2006 to April 18, 2014, you may be part of this lawsuit. Please read this website carefully, your legal rights may be affected.

The purpose of this website is to inform qualified purchasers of eligible Quaker Oats Products, including certain varieties of Quaker Oatmeal to Go Bars, Instant Quaker Oatmeal, and Quaker Chewy Bars, of a proposed class action settlement. To qualify as a Class Member, you must have bought an eligible Quaker Oats product in the United States, between February 3, 2006 and April 18, 2014.

Detailed information about the Settlement Agreement is available in the frequently asked questions and court documents section of this website. You can also find a copy of the Class Notice issued by the Court.

DO NOTHING The Settlement (if approved) will release all claims asserted in the lawsuit, including those for injunctive relief or damages. The Release is set forth in the Settlement Agreement.
EXCLUDE YOURSELF If you do not want to be bound by the Settlement Agreement, you must exclude yourself by letter postmarked by May 27, 2014. If you exclude yourself, you can be part of another lawsuit against Quaker about the claims in this case.
OBJECT OR COMMENT You can object to the settlement by May 27, 2014. You can write to the Court about why you do, or do not, like any aspect of the Proposed Settlement. You may also attend a hearing about the fairness fo the Settlement where you may be given an opportunity to speak.

What is this case about?

A proposed settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit. The lawsuit involves claims that Quaker violated certain consumer protection statutes by making one or more of the following statements on the Eligible Products at some point during the Class Period: “wholesome,” “Smart Choices Made Easy,” “help your family fuel their busy days,” “quality,” “goodness in every bowl,” “will help you feel your best,” “All the Nutrition of a Bowl of Instant Oatmeal!,” and “Helps Reduce Cholesterol,” and by including images of oats, nuts, fruit, natural brown sugar, and children in soccer uniforms. The lawsuit maintains that the Products contain certain allegedly “unhealthy” ingredients, such as partially hydrogenated vegetable oil ingredient(s) (“PHOs”), which (Plaintiffs contend) renders these statements misleading. Quaker denies each of these claims and stands behind and supports its products and its marketing. .

Are you a class member?

You are a class member if you bought one or more of the Eligible Products in the United States from February 3, 2006 through April 18, 2014. There are some exceptions to this. You should read the entire website carefully because your legal rights are affected whether you act or not.

What does the settlement provide?

Quaker has agreed that, no later than December 31, 2015, it will remove PHOs from the Oatmeal To Go and Instant Quaker Oatmeal Products that currently contain them. Quaker also agrees not to re-introduce PHOs into those products for at least 10 years thereafter. Quaker further agrees not to introduce PHOs into Quaker Chewy bars, or the Instant Quaker Oatmeal Products that do not currently contain PHOs, for a period of 10 years. Finally, Quaker agrees that, by December 31, 2014, it will cease making the statement “contains a dietarily insignificant amount of trans fat” on the labels of any of the Products that contain 0.2 grams or more of artificial trans fat per serving.

What happens now?

The Court will hold a hearing in this case on June 26, 2014 at 1:30 p.m. at the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, before the Honorable Richard Seeborg, District Judge, in Courtroom 3, Phillip Burton Federal Building and United States Courthouse, 17th Floor, 450 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, California 94102, to determine whether to consider final approval of the settlement, payment of attorneys’ fees and costs, incentive awards for the Class Representative in the lawsuit, and related issues. The motion(s) by Class Counsel for attorneys’ fees and costs and incentive award for the Class Representative will be available for viewing on this settlement website after they are filed and before the Class Members must decide whether to opt out or object. You may appear at the hearing in person or through your attorney at your own cost, but you are not required to do so.